Friday, March 30, 2007
It's time for the Friday Five again. (I know I slacked off last week)
This week it is five things I struggle with as a writer:
1) Finding the time to write everything I want to write.
2) Revisions/Rewrites- It's a hate hate relationship. I hate revisions. If I didn't see the problem in the first place how in the heck am I to know how to fix it the second time around? And why can't I see the problem? I can in other people's work, but I seem to have a blind eye when it comes to my own.
3) Flawed characters- all the time you read and hear how your characters have to be flawed and redeemed at the end to make if a fulfilling story. I just finished a contemporary that didn't have a flawed hero and it didn't make him any less of a character for me.
4) Knowing when a story is done and ready to send. I tend to jump the gun and send things too soon. I'm so anxious for other people (editors & agents) to love my story as much as I do, that I sometimes send it out when it isn't ready. Therefore shooting myself in the foot.
5) My biggest struggle now that I am published is learning to put myself out there. I know I miss so many opportunities to promote my book, by just handing someone a card or saying something, but I've never been a "toot my horn" kind of person.
There you have my inner struggles of being a writer. Kind of scary!