Monday, May 07, 2007

Ahhh... Sunshine!


Yes, we have clear blue skies today and sunshine! I have all my yard work done, but will go putter outside anyway because it is such a nice day. But, not until I get a chapter done on the WIP. I'm pushing this thing because I now have several other ideas nibbling at my brain that I want to start organizing, but refuse to write down until I have the first draft done on the WIP.

I've been practicing what I'm going to read at the Baker City reading and signing this Friday. (Thanks Wavy for the advice) I've picked three different scenes in the beginning of the book, even though my favorite scene is toward the back. I figure I want to stay in the beginning because otherwise I'll give too much of the story away setting up to the scene I would like to read from the back.

This trip will be fun, but I'm finding I'm also getting nervous. Baker City doesn't bother me, it's going to my home town and having either no one show up or everyone! I think this is worse than going to a class reunion. At a reunion you can mingle and aren't the focus of attention. At least I try not to be, so this whole thing is taking me completely out of my comfort zone.

How do you deal with situations that make you uncomfortable?

3 comments:

Nicole McCaffrey said...

I highly recommend alcohol and chocolate -- and plenty of both. LOL.

Actually I usually tell myself it can't possibly be as bad as I'm imagining it will and that I can do anything for fifteen minutes. Then once I've done my fifteen minutes, I can usually convince myself to do fifteen more.

It's like that old saying "how do you eat a bear?" One bite at a time, Paty. One bite at a time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Nic, alcohol makes everything seem possible because it numbs that part of the brain where reason is. Take out the reasoning factor in our brain and we're INVINCIBLE! LOL So you have a choice, get sloshed or just sweat your way through it. I suggest the sweating way. :)

The way I deal with these situations is to first pray for help, then go for it and remember that it only lasts for a short time and then it's over and I can relax again. I used to stress so bad that I couldn't breathe and a rib on the right side of my body would pop out of place! Now that's stress!

Sometimes it helps me to pretend that I'm a different person. Like a a really good actress or something, and I have found that I have great abilities to pretend my way through stuff now. It's even fun and I look forward to stuff now that I would have shrunk from before.

You're going to be great and people are going to come. Take advantage of being center stage and be the star that you are for this night! You've worked hard to write and get your books published, so you deserve this attention!

Enjoy the beautiful weather!

Unknown said...

You've been tagged by WRP. Check it out --
http://thewildrosepress.blogspot.com/