I'm not quite finished with the WIP- I had grand hopes of being done by this morning- but if all goes well today, I should be done by tonight.
However- I have found my Black Moment looking more gray. And here are the five reasons why.
1) The scene appeared much stronger in my head than when I wrote it.
2) Other characters and dynamics changed from my first inception of the black moment and when I actually wrote it.
3) The emotions aren't coming out- it's all action and not the gut wrenching feelings that need to be portrayed.
4) There are too many people in the scene- it is distracting from the real issues
5) I just have to push to the end and then come back and re-evaluate how to make this thing work.
So today, I hope to push to the end, then spend the next week reworking the Black Moment to my satisfaction. This seems to be a pattern with me. Always reworking the endings.
As a reader, do you need that gut wrenching black moment scene to make the end all that much sweeter? It you're a writer, do you have trouble making that black moment black enough to make the reader gasp and wonder how the characters are ever going to over come their problems?