Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday Five- Already????


Howdy! I can't believe this week has whizzed by so fast! The good part of that is my next release will be out soon. The bad part, I still have a long way to go on the next book to get the first draft done by mid-July.

Speaking of the next book, my hero came to me as I was driving over the mountain to my chapter meeting this week. I had his GMC(goal, motivation and conflict) all written out on paper, but physically he was still a little blurry, until Tuesday. While chugging over the mountain listening to John Denver and clutching the steering wheel, I thought about the story, who he was mentally and all of a sudden his physical features started taking shape until I felt like he was sitting in the car beside me. Don't call the insane asylum on me- that's just the way writers work, okay?

Anyway, my Friday Five- five things about my hero.

1) His name: Beck Harlan

2) Occupation: US Marshal

3) 6' 2", broad shoulders, narrow hips, piercing blue eyes, square jaw covered with several days stubble, perfectly shaped bald head, wears a bandanna pirate style under his Stetson.

4) Believes in the Justice he upholds. Is persistent and determined to do his job. Plays by the rules.

5) Has a ruthless gunman stalking him, who kills anyone he gets close to.


That in a nut shell is the hero in the book I'm working on now. Does he sound like hero material to you? What are some of the things you look for in a hero both as a reader or a writer?

No comments: