Monday, March 17, 2014

Rawhide 'N Roses: A Western Romance Anthology - Carol A. Spradling

I'm pleased to introduce you to another western author in the Anthology with me. 

Please welcome, Carol!

Carol may have grown up on Florida beaches, but her heart has always belonged to the mountains. Last year, she and her husband finally fulfilled her lifelong fantasy. They moved to the Blue Ridge Mountains. YAY!!!!! If she can curb her endless mountain gazing from her front door, she might get some work done on her next book. She still can't believe she lives in an area she loves so much.


Short story writing:
When I was first approached to write a short story, I was excited and a little nervous.  I had the opportunity to be part of an anthology with a dozen authors that I admired and respected, but could I tell a full story within 2000 words?  All of my writing career, I've been advised to expand my scenes, add more depth, and express more emotion.  To keep a story brief seemed to go against everything I'd been taught.  Naturally, I viewed this exercise as a personal challenge.  It was time to prove I was worth my writing salt.

My next hurdle was to come up with an idea.  My stories are generally set east of the Rockies.  This anthology was to be true to the west.  No mountain settlers for this group.  I took another tentative step out of my comfort zone and settled on the Santa Fe Trail.  I'd seen enough cowboy shows to know wagon trains headed west all the time.  I now had the basis for my story.

As I began to place the "bones" of my story in place, I have to admit, it was difficult to not go into massive details.  But once I got past the desire to tell the reader every aspect of the story, I relaxed and the story flowed. 

It's my opinion that a short story is just that, a quick read that delivers a condensed version of a full-length novel.  And to be honest, every now and then, I think a short story is just what a reader wants, a good story without elaborate description.  Between you and me, I can't wait to be part of another anthology.



Where to find Carol A. Spradling






Other books by Carol A. Spradling:










9 comments:

Caroline Clemmons said...

Carol, I'm glad the anthology worked out so well. I also was pleased to get to know you better.

Paty, I'm waiting for the next Isabella Mumphrey novel. I know how busy you are, so I wonder how you find time to write. Glad you do, though.

Alison E. Bruce said...

I think we should all get t-shirts with the RnR cover on it and "I survived." It was a challenge for all of us.

On the up side, we had many talented people with a variety of skills involved in the process. And the results are worth it.

Paty Jager said...

Caroline, the Isabella book will be out in April.

Alison, I agree! LOL

Cheri Kay Clifton said...

Hi Carol,
Always great getting to know more about our Anthology authors. Enjoyed reading When Love Arrives, unexpected twist at the end!

Love the look of your blog, Paty!
And Alison, wish we did have those t-shirts, I'd wear one proudly!

Lyn Horner said...

You did a bang-up job with your short story, Carol! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

I love Alison's T-shirt idea!

Carol Spradling said...

Thanks Ladies. Let's bring on the t-shirts! I think we've earned them.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Carol,
Great blog, I am so proud to be part of this Anthology with all the wonderful western authors, including your good self and Paty.

Regards

Margaret

Paty Jager said...

Thank you, Margaret. I'm enjoying getting to know you and Susan our authors from Australia better.

Susan Horsnell said...

Hi Carol and Paty. I love making my way around the blogs and learning a little more about everyone.
I love the t-shirt idea, Alison.