Thursday, July 16, 2015

Getting Ready for a Book Signing

Today I'm getting my promotional items ready for a book signing event this Saturday, July 18, 2015.

 Oregon Writers Fair
10 am - 6 pm
Adult and Teen Challenge
31700 Fayetteville Dr. 
Shedd, Oregon

 Some authors pack up their books, a pen, and a bookmark or two and head to a signing.

Unfortunately my giving personality won't allow me to do something so easy. Oh no! I have to make labels with my books and promo for water bottles. I made the labels in Publisher, then made them a JPG and added them to a word page. Using a paper cutter, I cut them in strips and used clear package tape to adhere the labels to the bottles.  I just have to make sure the bottles don't set in water and they should hold up. I'll see if I can find a short, aluminum looking tub to put them in on my table.


Another promo item I've made before is a small booklet with the first chapter of each of my mystery books.

I used publisher to make two booklets per page. That gets more items for a better price. There are the chapters, a cover and back cover with information about the mystery series, my website and Windtree Press. I sent the pdf of the booklet to Staples. They printed, cut the pages in half, stapled, and folded the booklets. All I had to do was sign them, put them in a clear envelope along with bookmarks and a caramel(Shandra Higheagle's favorite flavor).

 I also made signs to put on my book displays and signs with prices. I have a banner with my website header, table cloth, bookmarks, and extra candy.



Yes, I can't just walk into a signing with books and a pen. I have to make sure everyone who stops by my table goes away with something that has my website on it whether they buy a book or not. The back of my Volkswagon Sportwagon is full! Now to find room for my clothes!

Do you like to get freebies at book signings?






2 comments:

Chad said...

Very creative and fun, Paty! I haven't had the opportunity to attend a book signing, but I like the freebie idea with your website on things so people can find you again later.

Paty Jager said...

Hi Chad! Thanks! Yes, the best thing you can do if you can't get someone to buy a book is get something that reminds them of you in their hands.