Thursday, December 22, 2016

Chocolate vs Vanilla

I don't know about your house, but I grew up in a house divided. My mom loved chocolate in any form. My dad disliked chocolate in most forms.

When I had kids, two loved chocolate and one didn't. Both my husband and I like chocolate. To appease the chocolate and non-chocolate lovers in the family I made sure I always had baked goods that would appeal to both sides.

Here is my brownie recipe for the chocolate lovers:


Moist Brownies

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
2 tsp water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
In a small bowl, mix together four and baking soda.
In a medium saucepan combine sugar, butter, and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat' remove immediately from heat.
Stir in the chocolate chips and vanilla extract until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Stir in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually stir in flour mixture until smooth.
Pout into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely and cut into squares. Makes 16 brownies.  (When the kids were home I doubled this)

And for my non-chocolate lovers:



Soft Sugar Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
3 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375° F. 
In a small bowl combine the flour, soda, and salt.  Set aside.
Cream together butter, egg, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream. When it is well combined and fluffy slowly add the flour mixture. The dough will be stiff.
Divide into four balls. Take one ball and roll out to a 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters cut out the cookies and place on a cookie sheet. gather up the leavings and save. Roll out each ball and cut cookies. When all four balls have been rolled and cut, put the leavings together and roll out and cut more cookies. 
Cook each pan 5 to 8 minutes. Don't let the edges brown too much.
Cook on wire racks.  When cool make a powder sugar and milk icing, coloring as desired. 
Depending on the size of cookies you can get from 4-6 dozen.  

Enjoy the recipes and have a Merry Christmas!  

No comments: