Monday, October 16, 2017

Making my books truly my own, by Paty Jager

This will be a post about moving my print books from Creastespace (Amazon) to Ingram Spark and making my books truly my own.

When I started this Indie Publishing journey, there were not as many resources for an indie author to use. The name that came up over and over to get books put in different venues than just Amazon was Smashwords. I used them, but after a few years it was easier for me to upload to Kobo and Barnes and Nobles myself. I've yet to go straight to Apple because I don't own a Mac computer. 

Then other aggregators started popping up, and I found Draft 2 Digital (D2D) much more user friendly. It has many more places that sell my books than Smashwords offered. It is also easy to upload to and pick the venues. It also has a universal link that also includes the Amazon link. This Books2Read universal link has made updating my website and information in the backs of my books much simpler.  I've also begun using Findaway Voices, D2D's audio book side which gives me more options for sales of my audio books and more royalties than Amazon's ACX.

All this time I had used Createspace, the most user friendly and free place, to upload my print books. But I had bookstores balking at ordering books from Createspace because they are an entity of Amazon. Which was putting the little bookstores out of business.  But with whispered rumors of Amazon using their printing house to say you can only sell your print books through them, I've hopped over to Ingram Spark while they are having an upload for free period and started my new series with them and moved over my mystery series.

I will have to say Createspace was more on the ball when I contacted them to send my Shandra Higheagle print book files to Ingram Spark. They had it all ready to go before Ingram Spark had finished my side of things with them. I'm happy to say all of my Shandra Higheagle Mystery books are now being printed by Ingram Sparks. I received one of each book that I ordered to check out the printing. The books are a bit thinner than the Createspace books but the inside print is bolder/darker.  Otherwise they appear to be the same.

Now I'm waiting for the recent releases: Savannah: Silver Dollar Saloon and Haunting Corpse, the latest Shandra Higheagle Mystery to arrive to see how well I formatted the interior and my cover designer (Covered by CLKeerins) did on the cover.

Ingrams requested some different dimensions on margins and details on the interior and the cover has to go on a template. 

The first book we turned in neither my cover designer had encountered some of the Ingram Sparks wording before and after a fail on our first uploaded interior and cover, learned that all we had to do was go deeper into our PDF formatting options. 

For the interior I had to select I wanted a PDF from my formatted word document, then in the screen where I'd clicked PDF there is an options button. I then clicked PDF/A compliant. This version worked for Ingram Spark.

My cover designer discovered when she saved in a Photoshop PDF under save options there was one for color. The dialog box said ICCprofile:sRGB IED61966-2.1  When she unclicked that, the format worked for Ingrams.

 I have purchased the ISBNs for the ebook, print, and audio versions of my books and have more control over where they can be found by readers.  Going forward all my books will be in print from Ingrams, my audio books will be at Findaway Voices, and my ebooks (unless I'm in a group product) will be found at all ebook venues.

I've always been an independent person by nature and letting one entity have a hold on my writing just didn't feel right.

If you are an indie author, who prints your books and do you go with Kindle Unlimited or spread your books around?



8 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

I use Createspace because it's free. And easy. If sales ever pick up, I may eventually move to Ingram Sparks (the ISBNs are mine), but I just don't feel like doing something new right now. My e-books are wide because I don't buy my books from Amazon and I don't like limiting my audience.

Maggie Lynch said...

Thanks for sharing your process, Paty! This will help a lot of people who are getting some of those same errors when the load to Ingram. Like you I load my books to both CreateSpace and Ingram. I load to CreateSpace to get them on all the Amazon venues. But I DO NOT select expanded. I load to Ingram Spark for that because they have a much larger distribution platform and it includes libraries without asking me to be exclusive.

On ebooks I am also wide, primarily for the reason Stacy indicated. I don't buy my ebooks from Amazon and I don't like limiting my audience. I also use D2D for distribution. I've just started with Findaway Voices and I have to say that so far the process has been wonderful and the support magnificent. I am in love with the narrator I'm working with on my Fantasy series. The narrator for my Sweetwater Canyon series, will be starting her work in mid-November. I'm confident she will be equally professional.

It is an exciting time for indies and there are so many opportunities that I sometimes think I'm drowning in possibilities. Thanks again for sharing this info!

Paty Jager said...

Hi Stacy, Thanks for commenting! I have my ebooks wide spread. I don't like having my books only at Amazon, but I am in some box sets that are exclusive to Amazon until they disband the set. Then I can put my books everywhere. I felt it was time to move my new series to Ingram. Good luck with your books and sales!

Hi Maggie, Thank you for stopping in! I took my books all the way off Createspace. WE may have to talk about that some more when I see you. I agree! It is an exciting time for Indies!

Annie long said...

I've been going through switching my expanded distribution from CAS to Ingram and it's been three weeks- done frustration and still not completely through the process because like you said--- Ingram customer service leaves something to be desired- CAS was faster--- now dealing with PDF problems exactly as you mentioned. Maggie's been a great help as I'd her book but I will probably need more getting the covers right, etc... ongoing

Sylvia said...

Last year when the rumors were rampant that Wal*Mart was going to get into the ebook/print book business, I switched over to doing both createspace and Ingram. But I have to say my sales are dismal through Ingram. I sell more at Createspace. Plus the upload is not as easy. I'm about to try Findaway Voices in the next few months. ACX has gone from great to dismal. Good luck Paty with Ingram and let us know how you fair.

Kat said...

Perfect timing, thank you!
I am about to publish my next book and my backlist with Ingram as requested by my local bookstore...also because customer service at Createspace seems to have changed in the last year and I've been frustrated with them so it's time to branch out.

I will also share your blog with the writers currently attending my online workshop, SELF-PUBLISHING  “WHERE THE HECK DO I START?”

Marie Tuhart said...

Great blog. I just met with an Ingram Spark representative at a conference and attended her workshop. She was very knowledgeable and helped me understand the whole process and what they do. So now I have an even better understanding.

Paty Jager said...

Annie, hang in there. The books look great when they are finisihed, but it is a longer process.

Sylvia, Thanks for stopping in. I'm hoping having my mysteries at Ingrams will net me more bookstores purchasing them, so time will tell. I just finished my first audio book with Findaway. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

Kathryn,
Thanks for stopping by, and thank you for sharing my blog post. It has been a learning curve, but one I hope will pay off in the long run.

Thanks Marie! I'm looking forward to seeing you in Seattle next month. And perhaps you can give me an even better idea or do a round table on the subject at the Seattle Uncon.