Saturday, November 10, 2018

Guest Blogger_



It’s a Tradition, Like it or Not

I grew up with both sides of my extended family within four blocks. That can be seen as both fortunate or unfortunate depending on which relative we’re talking about, but whatever the case, I think that sort of familial proximity, is becoming less common.

Gathering in Grandma’s kitchen for no reason in particular was common, but there was one annual event that is rooted in my memory: making Christmas cookies. And, specifically making pfeffernusse cookies—a recipe handed down through the generations, traveling from Germany where my grandmother’s family is from.

Now don’t get excited. These are not the delicious dark brown puffy rounds covered with sugar glazing you see in stores and bakeries. 

No, our pfeffernusse cookies are nearly inedible beige nuggets looking more like dog treats than cookies (and in fact we used to feed them to the dog).

Like the other pfeffernusse cookies these are flavored with aromatic spices like anise, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Pfeffernusse, as I know the cookie, is in the family of biscotti. In other words, the trick to eating them is to first dunk them in coffee where they melt into a lovely blend of flavors. They are shaped to fit in the bowl of a spoon for dunking. You can see right away why these cookies aren’t popular with children.

Taste aside, the best thing about these little tooth-breakers was making them!

When it was time to make the pfeffernusse, all the females in the family, would make their way to Grandma’s to make dozens and dozens of cookies. The batch we made was so voluminous that there wasn’t even a mixing bowl big enough, so we’d sit around a plastic tub placed in the middle of the table.

And there, while Grandma consulted her recipe and dumped ingredients into the basin, we all—cousins, aunts, sisters, and mothers—mixed with our hands. Our family recipe called for melted lard, and I distinctly remember the smells. The kind of awful lard scent initially, but then the release of the aromatic spices when the hot lard was added.

The other thing I remember was laughing and telling stories. I remember all our fingers getting tangled together in the sticky dough.

Then after the dough was mixed, we’d each roll out long snakes before cutting them into squares. Grandma would bake one batch while we worked on the next. Everyone would go home with tins of cookies for their families.

I’ve only made pfeffernusse once in my adult life. I made them by myself and nobody ate them, so that was the end of that. But, it’s not really about the cookie.

When I thought about writing my story, Counting Down to Christmas, I had to include a cookie making scene.

Sadly (or not) I can’t find my recipe but here is a similar one I found. https://bakerbettie.com/holiday-party-made-easy-part-1-pepper-nuts/

My story is about family tradition and how they change over the course of time. How do you keep traditions in your family?


The weather is cold, the atmosphere is festive, and the cowboys are hot. How do you keep a cowboy at Christmas?

Don’t miss this holiday collection of modern-day cowboys and the women they love, featuring the same USA Today, Amazon Bestselling, and Award-Winning authors from “A Cowboy to Keep,” which garnered 55 reviews with an average rating of 4.5 stars.
CHRISTMAS, LIBERTY, AND THE THREE MINUTE MAN by Carra Copelin
Daniel Dylan Layman is determined to show headstrong city girl Liberty Ann Hart that a country life in Mistletoe, Texas, is the perfect Christmas gift.

A CHRISTMAS CAROLE by Andrea Downing
Carrie Matheson and her son are trying to settle into a new life in Wyoming. Tate Schrugge is trying to ditch his Scrooge and play Santa to the young boy. But will there be a Dickens of a romance by Christmas?

THE PEPPERMINT TREE by Kristy McCaffrey
Lawyer Skye Mallory returns home for the holidays due to an unexpected inheritance, and cowboy Joe Carrigan stands in her way.

THE DEVIL’S CHRISTMAS KISS by Devon McKay
When Kristen Kelly receives a Christmas kiss from Cole Lawson, she doesn’t believe it means anything. But Cole sets out to make things right with the woman of his heart.

SLAY BELLS by Hildie McQueen
At a small-town Christmas festival sparks fly between Carmen Dias and Detective Jared Bowden, but a dead body and a pesky ex-girlfriend don’t exactly spell romance.

THE BEST CHRISTMAS by Hebby Roman
All Sofia Rossi wants is to re-connect with her estranged son. But can Gar McCulloch, a handsome cowboy who runs a juvenile rehab ranch, be the answer to her problems?

COUNTING DOWN TO CHRISTMAS by Patti Sherry-Crews
Wedding planner Melody Evans views happily-ever-after endings with a skeptical eye. Veterinarian Leland Jennings IV thinks Christmas is for kids. Can the holiday spirit bring them together? 




Patti Sherry-Crews lives in Evanston, IL with her husband and two children. She studied anthropology and archaeology at Grinnell College and the University of North Wales, UK. Her roots are deep and firm in the Midwest, but her imagination frequently soars to places that are peopled with cowboys and knights in shining armor. She likes to read, try new recipes, and go for long walks with a little dog.

Find her at:





Photos: provided by Patti Sherry-Crews

9 comments:

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

Thanks for let me be your guest today, Paty! It was fun working with this group of authors again on another anthology, and a Christmas themed one at that!

Michael Horvich said...

Thanks Patti for your Christmas Memories. My favorite holiday cookies are my mother's "Walnut Crescents" which is similar to Mexican Wedding Cakes. Almost time to start buying the flour and sugar and walnuts!

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

Hi, Michael! So nice to see you! I think one of my all time favorite cookies are walnut crescents and Mexican Wedding cakes. I love the texture and flavor. I don't make many cookies anymore but I'll probably make those. Thanks for stopping by.

Andrea Downing said...

First of all, my thanks to Paty for having you here today. When I saw the photo I did wonder what dog treats were doing with our Christmas story. Now I know. And you did make me think about families and proximity, how we all spread out. I grew up in NY in a house my parents built--right next door to my mother's sister's place. We had cousin's club meetings once a month with the entire family circle of descendants of 11 children. And then little cousins grew up and are spread everywhere from Florida to Missouri to Montana and California, Georgia and Arizona. Such is life. Thanks Patti for a great post.

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

Thanks for stopping by Andi! I love the Cousin's Club.Yes, it was a different era when spending time with my relative's was a regular feature in my family's social life, but times do change. So many of my friends with changing family dynamics are having to re-invent how to celebrate the holidays. Things like making traditional family dishes and treats are one way to loop through the generations.

Hebby Roman said...

Baking cookies is such a time-honored tradition for Christmas. I know it's one we keep, and even though, I only had boys, my son, the youngest of the three, liked to help bake Christmas cookies until he was a junior in high school! We did sprinkles back then, no frosting but I'm branching out with my granddaughters and after last year's fiasco, I learned to put the frosting on AFTER the cookies have cooled. LOL
Your portray of baking Christmas cookies in "Counting Down to Christmas," was one of my most favorite scenes in the book. Pure magic!

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

Oh, thank you so much, Hebby! I drew on my past memories for that scene down to the vintage cookie cutters. Yes, frosting AFTER cookies, cooled, LOL! I have a terrible weakness for frosted sugar cookies--total loss of control there. Sugar and butter whipped together and looking so pretty.I glad to hear you're making cookies with your grandkids. I'm sure you're creating special memories for them (and who knows, maybe they'll write a book one day and include a cookie making scene).

Kristy McCaffrey said...

Patti, I love this! Thanks for sharing. I grew up with both grandparents nearby and what a blessing. So many memories! I think my husband would love these cookies as he’s a great fan of biscotti. Loved your story in the collection!!

Patti Sherry-Crews said...

I agree! I had one set of grandparents next door and one 3 blocks away and it was special (even though they were so different from each other). The day I sent in my story, I was invited to see my grandma's house again as the family who bought it were moving. It was a rush to be in that kitchen again. Your husband might like these! Lots of flavors going on once you dunk them. Thanks, Kristy! I loved all the stories in this set!