Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Five- Writing for two publishing houses

Continuing with my 5 do's and don'ts from agents, I have Elaine English's thoughts on writing for two publishing houses.

She says:

1) Have a clear picture of what is expected of you by each house.
2) Be realistic in what you can accomplish. If both houses want two books a year, can you produce?
3) Coordinate delivery and publication between the two houses. you don't want books from both places coming out at the same time as they would compete with one another.
4) Cross promote. Use one to promote the other.
5) And always keep your agent involved. They need to know what is going on to help you make the most of a 2 house career.

If you are finding these Friday agent infos helpful or interesting I'd love to hear from you. I still have five more to go! If people are bored I can stop at any time.

1 comment:

Helen Hardt said...

This is great information, Paty. Of course, I'm still waiting for the day when I'll actually be writing for two houses, LOL.

Helen