I frowned, knowing using boards from the scrap pile meant more sanding and work to make the bench smooth. However, I knew it was my only choice other than buying a bench. Which would also have to be run by the hubby and if he wasn't going to buy boards, he wasn't going to spend over a hundred dollars on a bench.
Knowing Daughter #2 was coming for a visit and is skilled with carpenter tools and a designing brain, I forewarned her we would be building a bench. The first night she arrived I showed her the picture of what I was thinking and the pile of lumber. She started sketching, and I told her the dimensions. Of course, hubby couldn't keep out of the designing and tossed in his two cents about how he thought we should do it. Daughter #2 and I glanced at one another and continued with our plan.
After the bench was finished, I started sanding it with an electric sander. I used a coarse paper all over first knocking down the bumps and rounding the corners. To make the bench smooth, I used a smaller grit, working over the seat the most. No way do I want a sliver in my backside when I sit on the bench. ;)
With the bench sanded and cleaned, I picked a stain and started applying. At first I was afraid it might be too dark but I liked how the grain of the wood picked up the stain and made some great patterns on the wood.
I think Daughter #2 and I did a good job making a bench that only cost as much as four lag bolts and a quart of stain.
The process of working with my daughter and making something for the house was a rewarding experience. I enjoy making things for my house and using my own touches to make a one of a kind piece of furniture.