Monday, February 13, 2012

Mystery Monday - Finding what works

Years ago watching a talk show I had the "aha" moment to write a murder mystery with an amateur sleuth. What caused the "aha"...The talk show had the authors of a new book. The book was Be Your Own Detective by Greg Fallis and Ruth Greenberg. It was written by a licensed private detective and a criminal defense lawyer. In the book they tell how to be a detective and how to stay out of jail while doing it.

I had my character buy the book when she determined it would be up to her to get her ex-husband out of jail for a murder he vehemently swore he didn't commit. Then I used information on tailing, paper trails, and surveillance in the book to plot the story line. I still have this book in my arsenal for when I start writing a new series. Some of the information is probably old but it will help make sure the process I have my characters go through to solve the mysteries will be somewhat accurate.

I have seven mystery writing or weapon books on my shelf that will help me write my mysteries. As with my historical novels I can never have too many research books at my disposal.

If you write mysteries what are some of your favorite research books?

If you read mysteries what is your favorite type: The armature detective, the cozy, the puzzle, the private detective, the police procedural, the romantic suspense, or the thriller?

3 comments:

therese patrick, author said...

This post made me chuckle. I do love all your posts. But this one reminded me how much paying attention and admiring what others have learned has value - even decades or centuries later. Have fun sleuthing!

Paty Jager said...

Thanks Therese! I try to give good info laced with a little entertainment.

Marian Lanouette said...

I love NH especially Hampton Beach. Your books sound great I'll look for it. Marian