Monday, July 24, 2017

The Road to Audio Books

Do you like to listen to audio books?  Back when I went to an RWA meeting every month that was 2 1/2 hours from where I lived I would listen to audio books on my drive. My husband doesn't like noise in a vehicle so he can hear the motor and tires and no if something is going wrong. That's what all those years as a truck driver did to him. ;)  I have listened to audio books when I walk, but I haven't downloaded an app to listen to books from my phone. I may one of these days so I don't have to use an MP3 player and carry my phone.

My road to getting my books made into audio has been slow.  Several years ago many authors I visite with at conferences said, audio books are the new thing. I had Marshal in Petticoats, my first historical western romance made into an audio book but the sales were so poor I didn't have the funds to do any more in that series.

Now my mystery books are selling well and a lot of the people who write romantic suspense and mystery said, get your books in audio. And I attended a workshop by narrator Ann M. Richardson and learned the ins and outs of getting a good narrator, what to pay, and how to help them along the way with narrating your book.

 I came home from that workshop ready to start putting out Shandra Higheagle Mystery books. I offered the 50/50 royalty split plus a per finished hour price to get a decent narrator. And I did! Ann Thompson a Cincinnati radio news reporter auditioned and her voice was perfect for Shandra and the other characters. She is a dream to work with, asking how to make this character stand out and taking my corrections well.

We now have three of the books available, Double Duplicity, Tarnished Remains, and Deadly Aim. I'm getting the next book, Murderous Secrets, ready. Because this book is set partially on the Colville Indian Reservation I have a more extensive list of pronunciations to get ready for Ann.

But along comes Draft to Digital one of the venues I use to sell my books and they have come up with a better for the author audio book program. We get more royalty than at Audible and a larger distribution. I'm now weighing the pros and cons of going with them for the next book and discussing it with my narrator.

Did you know that your first book from Audible is free?  If you haven't bought a book from them before you can get any of my mysteries for free as an audio book. Also, through Amazon, you can purchase the book and get a reduced price for the audio book. There are lots of easy ways to get quality audio books. 



Book three of the Shandra Higheagle Native American Mystery Series now available in Audio!

Passion… Secrets… Murder...
The dead body of an illicit neighbor and an old necklace sends potter Shandra Higheagle on a chase to find a murderer. Visions from her dead grandmother reveal Shandra is on the right path, but the woods are full of obstacles—deadly ones.

Detective Ryan Greer believes Shandra’s dreams will help solve the mystery, but he also knows the curious potter could get herself killed. He’s determined that won’t happen.

Until he’s blind-sided. Are Shandra’s powers strong enough to save them both, or will the murderer strike again?

Audible / Amazon /  iTunes(hasn't shown up yet)
 

No comments: