Thursday, September 07, 2017

A day in the Life by Paty Jager

Ack!  Here is a day in the life...I just discovered I didn't get the post up for today or for last Monday!  Monday was supposed to be about selling books in Sumpter and today... well, I hadn't thought about.

Stephanie, Me, Mary

 So, Labor Day weekend was spent in Sumpter, Oregon at the Sumpter Flea Market with authors Stephanie Berget and Mary Vine.  Mary and I usually attend this even Memorial weekend and this weekend. Stephanie who lives closer to Sumpter than either Mary or I was invited to share our booth.


We arrived Thursday evening around 5 pm and set up the canopy for our booth. Then Stephanie and I drove up to Mary's cabin in Bourne. The cabin doesn't have electricity or running water. We use flashlights and an outhouse. We unloaded, visited, had dinner, and visited some more before going to sleep. We rose the next morning drove the 6 miles back to Sumpter and set up the tables and books. Mary arrived and set up her table and books. She and her husband were staying in a fifth wheel trailer on their property in Sumpter.
A bit of smoke and very few vendors
Friday morning, right off the bat, a man came long, looked at our books, and bought my whole set of Shandra Higheagle Mystery books. I'd covered my cost of the booth. ;)  There were only half the vendors that are usually at the flea market and very few people coming through. A friend of mine had asked me to let her know if I saw any unique oil lamps.
lamp I purchased for a friend
I spotted one right away in the booth next to us and sent her a photo. She asked me to by it. A woman came along and bought my Native American spirit trilogy.  Stephanie sold one of her Six Pack books and Mary sold a book. I wandered around and purchased a four carved, wooden balls to put in a burl wood bowl.

wooden balls
That day it was hot but we were under a tree and had a bit of breeze so we managed to survive the heat and the few customers. That day after we packed up, Stephanie and I went to the Mad Dog saloon for dinner. The food was edible but a bit high priced. We went back to Bourne and visited until reading our kindles and going to sleep.

Saturday, we set up and waited for people. They were few and far between again. The day was slow. I sold two books while Mary and Stephanie each sold a couple as well. Without the crowds there were fewer people to visit with and watch. We did a lot of talking about writing and the business of writing. We closed up early Saturday night and Stephanie and I wandered around in the down town area vendors. I found some gourds that reminded me of my character Shandra Higheagle, so I bought them.
gourds
We were hot sticky and grumbly. So after arriving in Bourne that evening we had dinner, went for a walk and then took a dip in Cracker Creek which is right beside the cabin where we stayed. In our underwear we washed off and felt so much better!

Sunday was a very slow sale say, but my husband came up with the friend I bought the lantern for and my brother, his wife, and daughter and her family all came to visit. So while I think I sold one book on Sunday, it was worth visiting with my family.  Stephanie had to leave early due to the smoke rolling in. Mary and I closed up early and my husband and I had dinner with my family at the Elkhorn Saloon. It was good food for a good price.  Then Hubby and I drove home.

That was a weekend in my life!

No comments: