Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Relaxation or not



My dh and I went on a 7 day Alaskan cruise through the inside passage last week. We learned we aren't really cruise people. But we had a good time visiting the ports and seeing the area.

We left Vancouver BC on the cruise ship Millennium part of the Celebrity cruise line. The first day I was seasick. After discovering about a third of the guests and some of the staff were also sick I didn't feel so bad.

Our first stop was Ketchikan, AK. We'd visited it a couple times before as one of our daughters lived there for five years. Having already explored all the sights then we just walked around town and because it was such a gorgeous day we played basketball on the ship. I won one game of PIG and the dh won the other.


We enjoyed the people at our dinner table each night having made new friends.

The next port was Juneau. The capital of Alaska which is surprising since the only way to reach the city is by air or water. There we went on a van trip around the town and out to Mendenhall glacier and to a church on a small island with a narrow land bridge.


We went to Skagway checked out the downtown area then boarded a bus to Liarsville the base camp/town at the beginning of the Chilkoot Trail in the 1890's. We watched a skit about the town and the surge of miners to the Yukon and also panned for gold. Then we were bussed to the Canadian town of Frasier and rode an 1890's train down the Chilkoot trial to Skagway. The whole trip was a wonderful experience for a history nut like myself.



The following day we pulled into Icy Straits Harbor and the town of Hoonan. The old fishing cannery had been turned into a mall of sorts with shops of the native art work and souvenirs. There was a walking path and a zip line. We wandered into the town and chatted with some of the locals. While shuttling back to the boat we saw a whale spout in the distance and on the boat we watch several playing in the distance.

The last day we visited Hubbard glacier before heading back out into the open ocean and the rolling, boiling sea. Yes, I was seasick again. This time the ship rocked and rolled and my dh said the dishes were sliding around on tables at the buffet and people holding onto things to stay standing.

All and all it was a good experience but we've learned we are not cruise people.

5 comments:

Helen Hardt said...

Gorgeous photos! I enjoy a cruise now and then, but I'd say I'm not really a cruise person, either. I'd much rather spend more time in one location, soaking up the culture.

Lauri said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! EXCEPT for the sea sickness, that makes me want to back out of our trip!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good trip, Paty. Sorry about the sea sickness part, and the fact that you're not a cruise person part, but at least you got to see parts of Alaska that you wanted to see and you got to celebrate your anniversary with G-man and beat him at a game of PIG! You go, girl!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, Paty! They brought back fond memories of our five years in Alaska (many moons ago).
Sounds like a great trip, but I don't think my DH and I are cruise people eaither. But one would be nice, just for the experience. :0)

I never got to see a glacier up close and personal like that. Lucky you! Awesome! - Sarah Raplee

gtyyup said...

Ugh...you made me sea sick just reading! The photos were wonderful though. I'd like to visit up there some day...but I'm sure it won't be by boat!

Glad you had a good time though..we'll see you soon.