Friday, February 14, 2014

Happy Valentine's Day!

BE MY VALENTINE
Love Paty
As a child I remember loving and hating Valentine's Day.  There were years when I agonized over who to give valentines to. I always gave them to the unpopular kids because I felt I was in that same category. Being overweight and shy, I only had a handful of close friends. And every year, I'd have a crush on a boy. While I wanted to give him a valentine with hearts, I didn't want to let him know I liked him. Do you remember those days? You wanted their attention but you were afraid if you got it you wouldn't know what to do. Or worse, it was out of pity.

As an adult I love Valentine's Day. When the kids were growing up, I'd make heart-shaped pancakes or toast for their breakfast and if they took a cold lunch I'd add heart-shaped cookies and valentines. I would think about what I was going to make for our Valentine's dessert as soon as February hit.

Now without kids at home, I think about what dessert I can make for hubby and I and how we can spend the evening. Do I get a new movie, do we go out to dinner, what will we do? I can pretty much guarantee he'll at least bring me chocolate after years of getting me nothing and I'd say, "At least you could have bought a card, so I knew you were thinking of me." That was back in the days of his trucking and he didn't remember any special event he was on the road so much. Now that he has a job where he stays in one place, his co-workers remind him it's Valentine's Day or his anniversary. ;)

To all who read this. 
I'm wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day and whether you hug a pet or a person, hold the feeling in your heart and carry it through your life. 
Sending you cyber hugs and chocolate!

No comments: