Monday, July 02, 2018

Girl Warrior by Carmen Peone


The story behind why I wrote Girl Warrior is unusual to be honest. I was looking to write a contemporary young adult novel after writing a handful of historical YA novels and was considering different plots.


One fall day I was subbing for P.E. at our local K-12 school. Students and I were in the library as the weight-lifting class was sparse that day and many of the students needed to complete class assignments.

One young man, sixteen to be exact, bound up the steps––Late! I knew that past summer he had jockeyed the World Famous Suicide Horse Race in Omak, WA and an idea swirled in my head. Why couldn’t a girl qualify and ride?

Women had qualified for this exciting Native American horse even in the past, albeit very few.

I eyed the boy, him thinking it was because he was tardy. He squirmed and after a bit started spewing excuses as to why. I laughed and shared my book idea and, yes, however mischievous it was and with a “what the heck” attitude––in a small reservation town where everyone knows or is related to everyone––I suggested he either get written up or give me an interview.

With enthusiasm, he chose the interview. 


Blurb:

Charnaye Toulou has her sights pinned on winning the World Famous Suicide horse race during the Omak Stampede. The purse will help ease a financial burden of her paraplegic father, worn out mother, and ill grandfather. But more than that, she wants the respect earned from becoming “King of the Hill.” This race has been a long time rite of passage for male Natives. Charnaye is up for the challenge to prove females too can be awarded a warrior status as times are changing. 
 
But when bully Hagan Hurst chokes her and causes her self-esteem to plummet, she hooks up with her Okanogan relatives and a horse that can take her the distance. Anonymous threatening letters find her and they all point to Hagan. Her father and mother become overly protective, but she meets a woman who has ran the race, jumpstarting her confidence. The day after Charnaye graduates from high school, she jumps in with cousin and trainer Craig Stuart and heads for her relative’s Omak ranch. And so do the letters.

Charnaye begins the rigorous training it takes to become “King of the Hill”, or in her case, “Queen”, and tries to figure out who is behind the threating letters. She combats fear and anxiety, fighting to fulfill this rite of passage.

Buy Links:



Excerpt:
We turn left, travel down Dewberry Avenue, and pass houses. Some are empty, some have elders waving at us from the shade of their porches. We make our way to the dirt lot. I dismount, walk through the gate, and head straight to the hill’s lip. A tribal park’s boat is in the water to the right as is a Jet Ski. They circle in the water like ravens spiraling down for a dead carcass.
A handful of men on horses standby in the river to the left. Spectators behind them wade in the water. Family and friends of the jockeys line the dike. I shift my weight and dirt rolls down the hill. A photographer points his lens up the hill from near the pine tree straight across. A hot sun beats down from an azure sky. Breathe. I wipe sweat from my brow, pray, and rub Rooster’s neck, thanking him for the journey he’s about to take me on. For a single moment I’m calm. Until another jockey comes to the edge. Ripples of fear from my toes work their way to my belly, swirl around, and lodge in my throat.
“Easy as a sunset mixed with Carlos Nakai’s flute music and caramel fudge ice cream,” Benton whispers, leaning in to my ear from behind. 
Shivers dance down my back. I rub my arms. I give him a small smile. 
Officials call for the next person. Since there is a first time horse who needs the support of a veteran, that jockey and horse, Benton and I, and Billy Beck file into a group. Tone will follow us by himself. There is no start gun, so we just line up like we did at Omak Lake and trust everything will be fair. I rein Rooster into a spot.
A jockey waiting for his turn spits at me, “You shouldn’t be here.”
Another agrees. And another. I circle Rooster and keep to myself. Benton watches from a few feet away.
Billy Beck tells them to shut their mouths or he’ll do it for them. “She’s earned her right to be here.”
I nod, a small smile forming on my mouth. He nods back. I scratch him off my list of potential offenders. My legs feel Rooster’s muscles contracting. He paws the ground. Other horses rear, side step, or dance in place while the jockey holds them back. Even though it’s not their turn, the horses seem to know the drill.
“I’ll be coming after you,” one guy says. “Eventually.”
The others laugh and give me cat-calls. 
“If you can catch me,” I say, without looking at him. I talk to Rooster in a soothing tone, one hand on the rein, the other on a hunk of mane.

Bio:
Carmen Peone is an award-winning author who lives in Northeast Washington, on the Colville Confederated Indian Reservation, since 1988 with Joe, her tribal member husband. She had worked with the late tribal elder, Marguerite Ensminger, for three years learning the Arrow Lakes-Sinyekst- Language and various cultural traditions and legends. She enjoys her horses and competing in Mountain Trail Competitions. With a degree in psychology, the thought of writing never entered her mind, until she married her husband and they moved to the reservation after college.

Links to Social Media:
Website and blog: http://carmenpeone.com/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jcpeone/



1 comment:

Carmen Peone said...

Thank you for having me, Paty! I'm super excited about this novel.