Thursday, August 16, 2018

Dreaming of a Horse

I sold my gelding Bud last fall. He wasn't working out as I had hoped. I need a horse that I can get on, ride, and put him away without having to reteach him every time I get on. And that's no matter if I ride every day for a week or don't get in the saddle for a month.

Bud wasn't that kind of horse. He tested me every time I got on and made riding less enjoyable.

My daughter found a horse that we thought might work for her. She loves draft horses and this horse was half belgian and half appaloosa. He was a really pretty, one year old colt. He hadn't been gelded but we thought that would work. We have three mares that could be bred.

He was a colt from the Colville Reservation that had been rounded up and was to be halter broke and sold. The people who paid the woman to halter break the horses said they didn't need another horse and to sell him.  We visited knowing he may be too much of a job for us but we both loved aspects about him and wanted to see.
The horse we looked at.

In the photos we'd seen he'd looked like a gray, but when we got there he was brown, a pretty mottled brown with a gorgeous blanket, but not the color my daughter had hoped for. I saw he had what I call wild eye and that turned me away. That is what Bud did when he would get obstinate and try to buck. I didn't need that again. So we passed, even though he was beautiful.

My daughter told me to start a horse fund and next spring we'll go to some reputable horse sales and find me a 10-12 year old gelding that is dead broke for me and for her.

What is your favorite breed or color of horse? 

7 comments:

Alia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alia said...


My maternal grandparents owned an Appaloosa ranch in Ola, Idaho. I grew up around them and they’re fantastic animals. Dark Warrior was the ranch stud and he was a gentleman and very sweet. It was very sad when they “aged” out of ranching and moved to Emmett. So other than Appaloosas being my favorite, I do like quarter horses

Rain Trueax said...

Quarter horse for gait and temperament (generally). Our friends had appaloosas and we had two on this place some years ago when they had to move. One was flighty and one not. We lost one to cancer around the anus where she was white. I'd avoid white on the rear or eyes given what it has done to our Herefords too. For beauty, appaloosas can't be beat but they do vary for temperament-- in my experience. Our friends had a stallion, who he could ride in parades for his steady nature.

Paty Jager said...

Alia, What wonderful memories! We had an appaloosa when I was a kid. A family who raised horses owed my dad for hay and gave us three horses. An old brood mare who was the mother to the other two and a two year old mare who became my horse and three year-old appaloosa gelding who became my older brother's horse. He was gentle and smart. Then my husband had a leopard appaloosa we acquired from a neighbor that that was very gentle and followed my husband down the pipeline as he changed pipes and my husband rode him back to the main line. My horses have mostly been quarter horses.

Paty Jager said...

Rain, See my comment to Alia about the appaloosa's we've had. And frankly the horses I've gone through as an adult...there are flighty ones in all breeds. I had a flighty pain early on that dropped me when I took a jacket off while on his back. My daughter and I were riding on our property. she was in the lead. I had on a jacket and was too hot. I stopped, pulled my arms out of the sleeves, a gust of wind came up flapped the side of the jacket and the horse jumped around and I landed on the ground one foot in the stirrup and was drug a ways before I could get loose. It was scary and my daughter had to catch the horse and ride her horse back to the house and get a vehicle to load me into because I couldn't walk.

And that is why I'm looking for an older well broke horse so I can ride if more confidence I shouldn't hit the ground. The young mare I had trained, bucked me off twice and I can't take that any more.

Carmen Peone said...

Looks like from Nespelem? I think I've seen that horse. Who were the owners? Or gentlers?

I love Paints. Especially black and white tobianos. My dream was to have a ranch and our mare died when foaling. That shifted the dream to any horse that would carry a foal. My cousin gave me her Palamino Quarter horse and I bred it to my friends Morgan. Cash came out nice, but not exactly what I'd hoped for. So far so okay through. He gives me a nice ride but is not the best for Mountain Trail, which I enjoy competing in. We shall see how he does next year.

Paty Jager said...

Carmen, the horse was from the reservation. The handler was a young woman. I didn't get her name because my daughter did all the contact. She was in Walla Walla.