Monday, October 29, 2018

Halloween Week

I have always loved Halloween! It's a time when we can dress up and act crazy. As a child I was expected when out and about in the public to be unseen, and unheard. My grandmother and parents expected to hear what a good child I was when we went places.

But Halloween, all dressed up with a mask or paint on my face, no one knew who I was and I could talk and have fun walking down the street, knocking, on doors and politely thanking people for the goodies they handed out. It was freedom to me.

My parents would drive my brothers and I into town. They would have coffee and visit at my mom's best friend's house while we walked around the neighborhood filling our bags. No parent watching, but we still behaved ourselves. Giggling and laughing we would race each other to the next house.

Bend Writer friends Halloween lunch 2017
When our children were small, we took them to town and walked a few blocks with them. They entered grade school and the school had a Harvest Festival or carnival on Halloween to keep the kids there instead of out wandering the streets and not knowing where the treats came from. There were booths that parents ran. My husband had a walking floor trailer at the time. We'd decorate it up as a haunted house and when people went through we'd make the floor move and had older kids inside dressed up to scare. I always dressed up as a witch and dared people to enter the haunted trailer. It was a lot of fun!

Now as a grandparent, I enjoy putting out Jack-o-lanterns and decorating for fall, but I've long since tossed the cackling witch, scary spider and spider webs. 

How do you feel about Halloween? Like it, love it, or don't care for it? 

No comments: